Toe fungus is a fungal skin disease. It tends to quickly spread to other areas. Infection occurs through contact with fungal spores, for example, when wearing someone else's shoes, walking barefoot in a public swimming pool.
Fungal infections always start in just one limb. If itching and burning appear between the toes of the feet and all started at the same time, then the cause must be looked for in another aspect.
The most common symptoms include peeling of the lining between the toes, inflammation, and mild swelling. In severe cases, the skin becomes congested, oozing, cracked, and has an unpleasant odor from the extremities.
Consider the cause of fungus between the toes, inexpensive but effective drug treatment, as well as alternative medicine methods.
How do fungi get infected?
Foot fungus is a contagious disease. Infection occurs as a result of patients wearing other people's shoes, in pedicure offices, where they do not supervise proper instrument handling. You can get infected in a shower, bath, or public swimming pool, as we mentioned earlier.
The infectious process develops after the penetration of fungal spores into the structure of the nail plate. The fungus begins to progress rapidly, forming tunnels and passages, leading to external changes in the nail.
Often, transmission of the fungus is observed in the same family, which is associated with a high degree of spread of the disease. Spores are transmitted through items such as wipes, carpets, gloves, etc. v.
Public places that do not comply with the rules of hygiene and sanitation can be a breeding ground not only for fungal infections, but can also cause other diseases. Humidity and warmth are favorable conditions for pathogenic microorganisms to grow.
With a history of triggers, fungal infections occur much more quickly and easily than in people without the disease.
The following factors contribute to the activity of the fungus:
- Long-term use of glucocorticosteroids and antibacterial drugs;
- Pathology of the circulatory system;
- Diabetes of any kind;
- Non-compliance with hygiene rules;
- Hyperhidrosis of the lower extremities;
- Shoes that are tight or of poor quality;
- Strong decrease in immunity;
- VSD, VRV;
- Violation of the integrity of the skin;
- Trauma (especially of a chronic nature).
In the absence of proper treatment, the fungus begins to progress. "Move" from the area between the fingers to other areas of the skin, nails.
Other reasons for the activity of fungal infections include dermatological diseases - eczema, psoriasis and metabolic disorders, old age.
Symptoms of a fungal infection
Itching between the toes is a clear symptom of thrush. But it does not manifest itself in everyone, it varies in severity. Some patients complain of intense itching, which does not allow sleep, while others practically do not notice it.
In the early stages, itchiness and mild irritation in the area between the toes may be the only symptoms. For a short time, they are replenished by peeling the skin. It was as if they sprinkled flour between their fingers.
Furthermore, more obvious symptoms appear. On the skin, congestion, peeling is more pronounced, sometimes there are vesicular lumps (like small growths). The image is accompanied by itching and burning. Before doing anything, the diaper rash, feet began to smell and sweat a lot.
When the fungus spreads to other areas of the skin, this manifests as flaky, scaly skin on the soles of the feet. When the nail is damaged, its color changes, becomes very thin or thick, peeling can be observed.
In the severe stage, the symptoms are as follows:
- Shedding of the epidermis occurs.
- The skin begins to crack strongly, quite painful.
- Increased sweating of extremities.
- Purulent blisters appear.
- The skin does not stop itching.
The appearance of any of the described symptoms should be alarming. Fungus is difficult to treat, so the earlier it is treated, the more favorable the prognosis.
Types and types of diseases
Fungal diseases are the result of the action of three types of fungi. In particular, dermatophytes, yeasts (yeast-like) and molds. Then heat and humidity "like", and yeast-like fungi affect both the skin and nails.
In most clinical pictures, mycosis develops due to dermatophytosis. Mostly the little finger or thumb is affected.
Depending on the severity of the clinic and the forms of manifestation, the disease can manifest itself in the following forms:
- Deleted. In this case, mild peeling, intense itching between the fingers, peeling skin, possibly cracking can be noted. The skin on the extremities is excessively dry.
- Against the background of the metabolic disorder, bubbles appear. They are filled with secretions and break down over time.
- Scaly-hyperkeratosis. Symptoms include congestion, seal appearance. A white patch appears in the place of the folds of the fingers. There is severe itching.
- Alternating form. With this type of fungal infection, the skin under the fingers is damaged, the inter-finger area becomes inflamed and red.
Treatment of ringworm on the feet is prescribed after the specific causative agent is identified. This process is lengthy and expensive.
Features of the treatment of fungal diseases
Regardless of the type, form, clinic and severity of the disease, treatment is necessary. Therapy prescribed by a dermatologist. It takes a relatively long time - from several months or so.
They like to fight fungal infections in a complex way. Antifungal drugs are used. When pustular tumors are present, antibacterial treatment is recommended.
Once the diagnosis is made, you need to deal with your personal belongings. Shoes are treated with specialized means, like clothing.
But with wipes, slippers, and other similar items, it's better to part ways.
Principles of treatment for pregnant women and children
Getting rid of the fungus is more difficult during pregnancy. The fact is that antifungal drugs are contraindicated for pregnant women. So doctors use topical medications, for example, they prescribe antifungal ointments on the feet between the toes. They must be used carefully, strictly following the recommendations of the doctor.
During pregnancy, folk remedies are very good. Do a foot bath with antifungal ingredients and lotion. It is better to discuss unconventional methods with a dermatologist to avoid negative consequences.
Treatment of toenail fungus in children has its own characteristics. Antifungal drugs are prohibited for use in children under 2 years of age. It is very difficult to cure a child's illness, because adults understand that, for example, bathing is necessary for recovery, and this cannot be explained to a 3-4 year old child.
Treatment regimens for children are outlined individually. The list of appointments depends on the pathogen type, symptoms, lesion area, age and weight of the baby.
Pharmaceutical remedies against fungi between the vertebrae
Traditional medicine knows many drugs that help kill fungi effectively. They can be bought in pharmacies, sold without a doctor's prescription. Forms of release - gel, ointment, cream, tablets, balm.
Treatment with folk methods at home
Alternative therapy can be attributed to an auxiliary method. There are no folk remedies that will help destroy the fungus. However, they speed up recovery. So, before using a fungicide, you should treat the affected area with hydrogen peroxide.
Some people use Novocain for treatment. Whether this is reasonable or not with interstitial fungi is difficult to say. If the fungus has infected the nail plates, then the remedy will be useful - it is used in the form of a lotion, applied 1-2 times a day. The operation time is 1 hour.
For symptomatic therapy, essential oils of tea tree, lemon, celandine, clove, and cinnamon are used. They relieve pain syndrome, soothe the skin, neutralize itching and burning. Moisturizes the skin and promotes healing. They do not kill the fungus, but they inhibit the activity.
Non-traditional fungal treatments:
- The brine has a detrimental effect on the fungus. For cooking, add 15 g of plain salt to warm water. Dip the limbs into the container. The procedure takes place in 15 minutes. Feet after manipulation are not washed with soap, only washed with warm water.
- Shower with vinegar. A good folk remedy. It is necessary to pour 100 ml of vinegar into a liter of warm water. Lower limbs. Hold for 15-20 minutes. After the procedure, the affected area is smeared with iodine. If there is a crack, it is better not to do this, it will hurt.
- Celandine tree-based bath. Two tablespoons of the dry composition are poured into 500 ml of hot water. Insist half an hour. Add a small amount of cold water to the infusion, lowering your feet into a container. Time - up to half an hour. Repeat once a day for a month.
- Onion juice is used to lubricate the affected area. If there is no discharge, the skin is intact, you can make a half-hour lotion. It is necessary to place the onion peel on a clean cloth, between your fingers. This process can be repeated every other day.
- Iodine bath. A few drops of iodine are added to the water bath. Hold your foot for 15 minutes. After handling with water, the feet are dried. Antifungal cream is applied.
- Pour 25 g of mugwort powder into 500 ml of hot water. Insist 2 hours. Rub the solution between your fingers or soak for 15 minutes. Treat for 1 week or longer.
When treating fungus, you should adhere to the rules of prevention. This is the only way to get rid of the contagion and prevent secondary infections.